PAELLA DE CARNE
Spanish Paella with Meat
Recipe by Finca
Makes 4 servings
3 oz Spanish chorizo, sliced
6 oz or 3/4 cup Spanish sofrito - equal parts diced onion (1/2), tomatoes (1/2 large or one small), red bell pepper (1/2) plus 1 clove garlic minced and 1/2 tsp paprika, sautéed until tender in olive oil. You can also make a larger amount of sofrito and use it in other dishes from soups/ stews to rice dishes to on the side or top of steak, chicken, or even eggs!)
1.5 cups seasonal vegetables, medium diced (like green/ red bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, onions, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, etc.)
18 oz or 2 1/4 cup beef broth, saffron-flavored if possible
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup of spanish rice (Bomba)
4 oz pulled braised short ribs
2 oz bacon bits (2 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional: fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, etc.), saffron, other roasted vegetables
1. In large pan (preferably Paella pan), add oil, sauté Spanish chorizo until golden brown.
2. Add sofrito and saffron flavored beef broth. Bring to a boil.
3. Add rice and vegetables, mix all together and let boil for 2 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Test the rice to make sure it is done and well-seasoned.
6. Top with pulled short rib and bacon bits.
7. Garnish with fresh herbs and/or additional roasted vegetables, and enjoy!